Waiting on Wednesday: To Love A Sunburnt Country

Wednesday 29 October 2014


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine where the participants tell their readers about an upcoming release they are waiting to read. This week I've picked To Love A Sunburnt Country by perhaps my favourite author of all time - Jackie French.


The year is 1942 and the world is at war. Nancy Clancy is 16 and left school to spend a year droving, just like her grandfather Clancy of the Overflow was famed for. Now Nancy's family has sent her to Malaya to bring home her sister-in-law Moira and baby Gavin. Moira is British and married to Nancy's brother Ben, who is now a soldier. Malaya is under threat from the Japanese, but despite the warnings Moira has resisted leaving as she wants to stay near her husband. When Malaya is invaded, Nancy, Moira and Gavin are fortunate to get out before Singapore falls. When their ship is bombed they end up stranded on an island where they, and some other colonial women, are captured. There begins the nightmare and horror of internment in a Japanese camp. 

Back home at Gibber's Creek families are doing their bit for the war. They worry constantly about their men who are fighting - and now those who are missing after Singapore falls. Powerful, compelling and confronting, this is a book that pulls no punches. 

Filled with emotional truth and heartfelt agony, this unforgettable fourth book in The Matilda Saga continues the journey that started with A Waltz for Matilda.

Jackie French's works never cease to amaze me, impress me, and simply blow me away. I have been following and reading the Matilda sage ever since the first book, and before that with 'A Rose for the Anzac Boys'. I can tell this one is going to be just as good and I simply can't wait to read it. Yes, the bar is high - but if I've learnt anything by reading novels by this author is that she always delivers above and beyond what I ever expect  

Releasing 1st December 2014

6 comments :

  1. Jackie French is great. I really liked Hitler's Daughter in particular, and A Waltz for Matilda. But I think some of them are just TOO Australian for me, lol. I hope you enjoy this one when it comes out :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe that I *still* haven't read 'Hitler's Daughter' yet - although I do plan on doing that at some point for sure! I hope I'll like it too, I'm so excited for it!

      Delete
  2. Confession: I've never read a Jackie French book. How un-Australian on me, I know! I don't know why; I think it's just because her stories have never really appealed to me. This one looks interesting, though, you know never know, I might give it a chance. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *GASP* But Kara, you are forgiven - I have to admit that some books out there just don't appeal to me either, and that's fine since we all have different tastes :) Even so, if you ever considered giving Jackie French a go, I'd definitely recommend this series!

      Delete
  3. I went on a Jackie French binge read once and kiiind of burned myself out. x) But she's such an amazing author and I full on read EVERY YA book she had in the library (which was a lot!). I loved Matilda, but I didn't realise it was actually a series! Squee! I need to go back and check it out again. My favourite is probably still A Rose For the Anzac Boys, but I loved Missing You, Love Sara and Nanberry. (Dark Wind Blowing...not so much.) And did she write Hitler's Daughter, or was that someone else? I liked that one too anyway. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'm lucky in a sense that I didn't read them all at once and have paced myself over the years to get to most of them. Good to hear that you did like them though! The series isn't one in the conventional sense as such, since it follows different time periods with some characters who keep reappearing in each book. A Rose For the Anzac Boys is another one of my personal favourites too and I've read Nanberry: Black Brother White, but not the others you've mentioned *takes note to add to TBR* She wrote Hitler's Daughter too, you're right :)

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment below - I love reading them!