Discussion: An Open Letter to Authors

Saturday 18 October 2014

Dear Amazing Author,


As a booklover, I have a lot to thank you for. Not only are you responsible for creating the novels that I have come to love, but because of you; I can travel to places I could only ever dream of and experience things that could only happen in my wildest imaginings.

Because of your books, I know that I will laugh and cry - perhaps in equal measure.
I know that I could have the opportunity to witness a character through their highs and lows, and experience all that with them.
I know that I be in awe of what you have made out of that genius mind of yours.

It's true, as you know. that perhaps I won't like every book you write. Yet - even when this does happen, I don't want you to feel bad. Hey, not every book is going to work for every reader: and that's okay too. For every bad review, I hope that there would be ten glowing ones. If your book really impresses me, I might even include some flailing gifs to complement my raving words of encouragement. When I am in love with something you've written, I'll want the whole world to know about it - because your book deserves positive recognition for all the hard work you put into it.

When you have a book event, I'll try my best to be there; because I know how much it must mean to you to see your fans in person. It's as exciting for you as it is for me - because even to exchange a few words with someone I admire for their genuine talent is a very special moment indeed. To hear you speak about your work and writing process is an inspiration, and gives us all hope that we can achieve our dreams with the right amount of hard work and determination.

So to all you authors out there:


And don't you forget it!

20 comments :

  1. YAAAY! I love this post. I hope all the authors of ever know this because they deserve to know this. ^-^ I can't even imagine life without authors. And I LOVE how so many authors go the extra mile these days and are like on twitter/facebook/blogs and chat with their fans and stuff. IT IS SO SPECIAL. It always makes me fangirl like a pineapple whenever I get to talk to one of my favourite authors. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Cait! Authors are reaching out to their fans in more ways than ever before which is pretty fantastic - and talking to the person behind the book you love calls for major fangirling.

      Delete
    2. Lol Cait, laughing at fan girl like a pineapple :)

      Delete
  2. This post is brilliant! And so, so true, as well. Authors ARE amazing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the hearts to you, Eugenia. <3 You bloggers are just as incredible, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica, you're definitely one of the amazing people I'm speaking to in this post <3

      Delete
  4. What a nice letter, and I agree, authors are awesome! The world would be a much sadder place without books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Rochelle - I can't even imagine a world without books in it!

      Delete
  5. This is so cute, Eugenia! And I absolutely agree. Authors are seriously awesome and they give us SO much in terms of entertainment, and lessons to be learned, and pretty much everything in between.

    Hopefully my name will be invisibly included in this letter one day ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure yours will one day Chiara - I'd definitely read one of your books :)

      Delete
  6. Woo! This is such a wonderful letter, Eugenia. :) And so cute and well-written. Authors are amazing, we're so lucky to have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ebony - they definitely deserve all the appreciation and recognition for their work :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. LOVE THIS! It's everything I would ever want to say to an author (if I didn't go all fangirl when meeting one). Yes, authors are definitely amazing, I hope some authors got to read this letter :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how that feels - meeting them in person is amazing and I wish that I could articulate this when that does happen :) Thanks for stopping by Gina!

      Delete
  8. As an author, I say THANK YOU! The joy is ours to write for wonderful readers like yourself. As a fellow reader of many genres, I must agree. Reading is my greatest pleasure and I still embarrass myself at author events that I am presenting at when I go all fan-girly myself. In fact, my husband has banned me from taking novels to certain events that I am supposed to be an 'author presenter' at because in the company of authors I love I go even nuttier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to know that an author has stopped by to see this post, so thank you for stopping by Sarah! :)

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment below - I love reading them!