Best Books of 2014: Mystery/Thriller

Monday 22 December 2014


As the year comes to a close, it becomes clear that there have been so many amazing reads I've picked up in 2014. To celebrate some of my favourite books, in this feature I'll be sharing my best picks from various genres.To fit in with this year's theme, each book will have a description of 14 words. Today I'll be sharing some mysteries and thrillers that I loved:

Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas

17623143

Not the usual 'whodunnit' mystery, but a twisted and tenacious story that wowed me.

Dangerous Boys by Abigail Haas

19732381

This has an eeriness which manifests itself as a puzzle that is completely captivating.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

21480931

This is darkly compelling novel is one with many changing directions and screwed-up characters.

Pandora Jones: Admission by Barry Jonsberg

20877929

This book has you chasing answers the whole way through – and I loved it.

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

16143347

This book stayed with me long after turning the last page – what a shocker!

The Fever by Megan Abbott

18656036

The threat of contagion and hysteria along with dynamic characters makes this book enthralling.

The End of Everything by Megan Abbott

9596460

This portrays the complex relationships in even the most idyllic of families and households.

Dare Me by Megan Abbott

12982393

The cheerleaders in this book aren’t just simply ‘mean girls’, they’re something darker altogether. 

Find Me by Romily Bernard

18247362

An intelligent techno-thriller with a romance that doesn’t take centre stage and fascinating mystery.

Cooper Bartholomew is Dead by Rebecca James

22341147

A book where you know the ending, then find out how it all unfolded. 

As you can see, Megan Abbott and Abigail Haas were big stand-outs for me, with multiple novels that made the list. What have been some of your favourites?

9 comments :

  1. On this list I've only read Gone Girl and We Were Liars, but I absolutely loved both books and I really need to read more like them, which is why I'm off to add all of the books to my tbr list... Thanks for writing this post, I've been looking for more mystery/thriller books to read lately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could help with some recommendations Lara - Gone Girl and We Were Liars blew me away as well!

      Delete
  2. I clearly need to read more thrillers/mystery books. They're so cool! But I never know how to classify them. Like are the Myer Dara books in that category?? Because they were awesome. Also Breaking Butterflies by M. Anjelais...that book screwed me up :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Emily - some of them fit into more than one category and it can be hard to pick where they fit. That reminds me, I really need to get to the Mara Dyer books soon! (which I think is what you meant ;)

      Delete
  3. HAAS IS BEAUTIFUL. I need Dangerous Boys asap! I just broke my book ban with Gone Girl yesterday. Worth it (eh, or I was delirious after work and late night shopping is just spoiling me so hahaha). The movie was quite good and I'm guessing the book is heaps better. Lovely recs, m'dear! <3x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say Dangerous Girls was better so don't get your hopes up *too* high for DB, but on its own it's still really good. Haha Gone Girl in book form is even more intense than the movie - hope you love it!

      Delete
  4. I actually read Dangerous Boys with Gina a few weeks ago, and we're like chalk and cheese with that one. She really liked it and the more I think about it, the more I hate it. Dangerous Girls was incredible, but this is like it's awkward and stinky brother that has a crush on you. I really need to stop with the euphoniums, they're even starting to confuse me. Cooper and We Were Liars have made my ultimate 2014 reading list I'm posting this week as well. Make sure you stop by on Boxing Day and link them all up to the Linky poppet, I plan on going through them all in the new year and adding a second Goodreads reading list specifically for recommendations. Brilliant post Eugenia <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, 'awkward and stinky brother ', Kelly you sure know how to make me laugh, and hey - it's nice to see another perspective on it! I'll definitely stop by and add to the linky when it's up :)

      Delete
  5. For someone like me, who loves mystery/thrillers, I actually haven't read many of these! My TBR pile has just gotten bigger now. :) Great list.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment below - I love reading them!