Artist Interview - Julia Abbey

Sunday 19 February 2023

Just as there are many talented local writers, so too are there artists who each capture the landscapes they see in their own uniquely creative frames. Today I'm interviewing Julia Abbey, whose works celebrate the unique flora and birdlife that call our great country home. 



Native flowers and birds feature in most of your works, what is it about these elements that make them a focus?

Having grown up in Europe, I was stunned when I first visited Australia, by the beauty of Australian native birds and flowers. I had never witnessed flocks of parrots flying overhead before and was in awe of their size and colours. The sounds that these birds made was unfamiliar to me and I am only just getting used to the high pitched screech of the cockatoo! When I visit my son on the Mid North Coast I am treated to rare sightings of red tailed black cockatoos. I love that these creatures play an important role in Dreamtime stories. I decided to honour them in my paintings, sometimes linking them for fun with a picture, for example the Rosella in my Arnotts biscuit painting.


Native flowers have a similar effect on me! Again I am stunned by their size and beauty. The King Protea and Banksia are two of my favourites and feature a lot of my work. The petals of the Protea and the leaves of the Banksia are so wonderful to paint. Like the birds, they have a presence - there is something magnificent about them.


I feel honoured and lucky to live in Australia. By featuring native birds and flowers I feel as though I am saying thank you and that I am grateful for these things! Native birds and flowers have become a definite theme for my work.


Can you share with us your creative process for an artwork from an idea to the finished product?

I can only describe the creative process as a kind of wave which increases and develops until it is let out onto the canvas! It can begin in the most unlikely of places, and like a seed, begins to grow. Recently an old cotton reel in a tatty box on the floor caught my eye at a market. It instantly triggered images of vintage sewing patterns in my head (my daughter happens to be handy with sewing and has many vintage patterns). The idea then develops into colours and which objects I wish to include in the picture. I try not to overfill my pictures, so three objects is usually enough, just enough to evoke a thought or memory for someone. Many of my paintings relate to a moment; just about to sew, taking a break or a summer afternoon drink, so they don't need too many objects to be interpreted. Often I will search the internet for images if I don't own the objects. Then it's a case of mapping out the arrangement, usually in a sketch book before doing a rough paint on the canvas to make sure that the size and shape of the objects is correct, and composition is ok. 


The process begins with a messy paint, thinking about undercolours, in other words which colours I would like to show through a little at the end. Each layer of paint becomes neater however detail is only usually added in the final phase. I would say there are usually around five phases for each painting. I decide at the beginning where the light source will be in order to highlight objects and often I will use objects which throw an interesting shadow. When a painting sits well with me I stop. Often I take a photo of the painting and look at it from a different perspective, adjusting small things I may notice. My daughter is amazing at giving me honest feedback!


What have been some of the biggest highlights of your career so far?

For many years friends had been saying 'You should sell your paintings!' One of the biggest highlights for me has been seeing the pleasure it gives someone to own an original painting. I love that many of my friends have my work hanging in their homes! When people I didn't know started to buy my work, that felt strange and exciting! The other huge highlight was when I was contacted by Gig Moses at Moree Gallery, asking me if I would like to exhibit at the gallery. I was literally over the moon! Gig has been amazing, she gives me advice and encouragement. I'm still fairly new to the art world and it's great to have the advice of someone who has been doing it for a long time. As I begin to realise my dream of painting partly for a living I feel very lucky. 


Did you always know you wanted to be an artist, and if not, what was the defining moment for you in deciding to pursue it and sell your work to the public?

 I always knew I loved art and I always knew I had creative energy inside me, but I never consciously decided to be an artist - it just started to happen! So many people had asked me when I was going to sell my work that I decided to make an instagram page. I sheepishly put four paintings up to start off and see what happened. The next morning I woke to find that three of the four had sold! So I painted some more, and they sold too! It went from there! My instagram page is still active @juliaabbey.art and I can also be found under 'artists' on the Moree Gallery website. I am yet to make my own website, that's the next thing! I am also keen to develop original art for childrens rooms. I love painting the charming Danish designed Maileg toys and hope to develop this side of my work. 


What is your favourite artwork produced by another artist (contemporary or classic) and why?

 I don't have one particular artist that I favour, but rather many artists who I follow, for example Cressida Campbell who has recently exhibited at the National Gallery in Canberra. I enjoy following a variety of styles.Thanks to social media artists worlds can be shared and enjoyed by many. I do have favourite designers who feature in my work, for example William Morris (1834-1896) Whilst living in England (the home of wallpaper!) I was inspired by the designs of William Morris. Recently I have begun to add my interpretation of some of his designs into my work. 


What advice would you give to other budding artists who are starting out and looking to have their works available for purchase?

My advice is that you have nothing to lose! Be brave and put yourself out there! Try selling your work on a platform such as Instagram to begin with. See what happens, you may be pleasantly surprised! Find a local gallery and enter some of their exhibitions. Paint for yourself and if others like it, that's a bonus! If nothing else, painting is a wonderful, mindful hobby which allows your creativity to flow.

Is there a sneak peek you could provide for any pieces you have underway and how people can see them once they are complete?

I have three pieces underway, all featuring the same William Morris design in three different colours! There are a number of things I will change before these three are finished but they are well under way. They are going into an exhibition to raise money to support the mental health needs of children and young people in the community which runs from 24th March to 3rd April at BDAS in Bowral NSW. The pieces will be for sale in the exhibition and on my Instagram page after the exhibition unless they sell prior. Unfortunately due to the busy backgrounds these three do not feature my usual bird so they are slightly different to my usual works. I am challenging myself at the moment to develop my style. 



About the artist



Born in South Africa, Julia was later schooled in both England and Germany. She came to Australia first as a backpacker and later to live in Bowral NSW in 1998. Julia has two grown up children who are her biggest supporters. As a primary school teacher Julia has always admired the naivety of children's work, their lack of inhibition and bold choice of colours. Some of this is reflected in her work. Having grown up mainly in the UK, Julia is still in awe of the beauty of nature in Australia. Native birds and flowers focus in her paintings along with a pop of colour and a touch of vintage. A self-taught artist, Julia just loves to paint everyday scenes which evoke a moment, whether that's sitting down for a cool drink on a warm afternoon or hanging up the gloves after a day of gardening. Julia is keen to explore original art for nurseries and you will encounter a few whimsical and cute creatures she has painted for this purpose. Julia paints in acrylic on canvas and the art is framed in a Tasmanian Oak box frame. As her career as a teacher draws to a close, Julia would love to open the door to more painting. 

You can find more of Julia's paintings Instagram @juliaabbey.art


No comments :

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below - I love reading them!